FPS issues and TS

All general chat goes here
indi
nigga.... PLEASE!

FPS issues and TS

Post by indi »

well, when i use TS and Quake together then my FPS go too low, usually i get maybe 150 fps?? but with TS on it goes down to 40-100 FPS :S

i use hunkmegs 512 or something for quake, i have 1Gb ram, shall i put it down to 256? or increase? :S my processor is only 1.6Ghz rofl :P graphics card is decent

also when you go into BIOS when the comp starts, its asks something like the graphics aperture or something, it goes up to 256.. shall i put it on that? my graphics card has 256mb ram i tink
nigga.... PLEASE!
EnZyMe-ZuM
V Clan Member

Post by EnZyMe-ZuM »

I have to say I'm interested in this too... my comp is sooo crappy, any little thing gets my FPS down, I barely get 125.

What's the point with com_hunkmegs ? Never understood how to set it right.
boom
V Management

Post by boom »

indi its your gay voice :P dont speak your fps will sky rocket up lmao
Image women need a reason for sex,men just need a place:)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

LOL @ boom....

com_hunkmegs is the amount of sytem ram you allocate to q3....

Indi, I would start at 128, test it.....then inc to 256 if your comp can handle it.
EnZyMe-ZuM
V Clan Member

Post by EnZyMe-ZuM »

paul wrote:com_hunkmegs is the amount of sytem ram you allocate to q3....
Yeah I know it... but is there a special way to calculate it from my RAM amount, or do I have to increase the value, then test, then reincrease etc ?
wonkey
Site Admin

Post by wonkey »

Stop fiddling with com_hunkmegs, it'll do bugger all for your performance.

Your performance issues are probably graphics based. Whether your graphics card is bound by a poor CPU or your graphics card can't handle it doesn't matter, the solution is the same.

- lower your in game resolution
- increase r_picmip 1 at a time (vid_restart inbetween)
- turn off fancy graphics effects like Nemesis Client offers (sparks, coloured projectiles, smoke)
- stop using Nemesis Client superhud
- turn off shadows, use 2d icons

You are trying to achieve a stable FPS of 125 or 63, anything else is a waste unless you can get as high as 333. You cap your FPS by setting com_maxfps to the value you want.

It's probably worth checking what is running on your PC too. Get rid of spyware, viruses and crap that likes to sit in the taskbar. AV programs can use the CPU sporadically which will effect your FPS.
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

didnt u mention u had a laptop, couldnt u run ts on your laptop and quake on your pc.
indi
nigga.... PLEASE!

Post by indi »

i don't have a laptop, my sis and bro do. but i will be getting one as soon as i get a job lol.. could possibly be next week ;)
nigga.... PLEASE!