request

All general chat goes here
melkor
Camper

request

Post by melkor »

hello quakers :)

hereby i'd like to ask Yellow if it's possible to adjust server in a way that prevents unbalanced teams
by unbalanced teams i mean unbalance of skill on teams
i'm sure many of you agree, that matches which finish 10:1, 10:2 or 10:3 (do i even have to mention 10:0) are no fun to be a part off
you also know that these kind of scores are possible only due large difference in skill between teams
many times one can see top players crowding one team, while only average players on other
since V server collects stats, and ranks players by skill, could you make a script that will automatically make two teams of approximately same strength making fight outcomes more interesting?

thnx

melkor
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Re: request

Post by YeLLoW »

hey Melk,

i see your point. But to make it according to stats will be pretty inaccurate. I mean it would not be but the fact, that many players using different names its hard to detect correct player skill.
But it will be possible to set the sciprt to watch the team score, also the score of each player. Then if the team score difference would be let say 5 and more (6:1. 8:2 etc) script would remember each player score, force every1 into spectator, and then sort the players according to score and split them into teams. This could work...but
This could be inaccurate as well. When a skilled player just joined the game, his score would be low, and by the script he will be ranked as a less skilled player and maybe 2 players of this kind could end in the same team, making the team unbalanced again. So its very hard to choose wich way should we go.

Any ideas?
Ping f*cking matters
melkor
Camper

Post by melkor »

Hello Yellow,
the very same problems you mention, have crossed my mind too.
To the first problem, players using different names, I have to say the following:
I do remember, that old stats used to record aliases under which players connect.
In those stats one could see that holy shit is in fact flak, or brb is worm1, or atari is suzydk.
In this case you simply take the highest skill score, player has under any nickname, and set it as his actual skill.

The second problem exists only if you can't solve the first one (recording aliases).

If that is impossible, then I suggest, you make a script that would force only top 10 or top 20 players to be divided equally between teams. You say using current stats, that might not be the most accurate thing to do, nevertheless it's the best thing I can remember right now. Only jerks :x , who for some unknown reason use different names, will cause problems.

I'll put some more thinking into it :) , and will write back.

In the meantime, everyone, please write your ideas on how to make teams more equal and matches more fun.

melkor
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

Yep you are right but the aliases are generated only if the log has a record that the player has renamed during the game to other nick.
For an example.

If flak connects to a server under other name lets say "Railer" and he wont rename to fl4k during the whole game and then disconnects, the stats itself have no idea that this guy was fl4k even if he had the same IP. The aliases are not generated according to same IP but according to log and "was renammed" tag.

Anyways i still do thing that the most wise way would be to split players according to their current score. (even a good player can have shit game and a shit player can have a good game)
when i will finish the new rotation system, the voting will be enabled and players will have the possibility to vote for a new rebalance if necessary.

thx for ideas.
Ping f*cking matters
melkor
Camper

Post by melkor »

Hello,
I wrongly assumed aliases were recorded when the same IP address was detected.
That not being the case, players can "cheat" :( by disconnecting from V server, changing name and then reconnecting.

There is one downside to letting people vote on reshuffling of teams. If one team is winning constantly by huge margin, and not a single player from winning team does swap team on his own, why do you think they will choose so when voting comes.
I think rebalance should be done automatically, without voting, or by accepting votes only from loosing team (since winning team is not motivated to stop winning).

Come on people, float some ideas. Suggest solutions.

melkor
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

nope i did not mean to make it by voting only. Automaticaly as well but even with possibility to call it by a vote.
Ping f*cking matters