the old damage syndrome..

Updates, Changes and Problems post here.
boom
V Management

the old damage syndrome..

Post by boom »

yo all,
keep a long story short have always found damge given/taken wierd to say the least on our server..
played one game last night hit with rail in one game/map 24 times total killed 2 ...was killed with 5 one hit kills ...do i just have bad luck?
just cant understand why...i play on liquids server alot never seem to have the diverse damage there ,sure one hits happen but pfffffffft...
Image women need a reason for sex,men just need a place:)
wonkey
Site Admin

Post by wonkey »

was killed with 5 one hit kills
I still maintain there is no such thing as one hit kills on the *V* server (unless you only have 100hp that is!). When the damage debugging is turned on PJ has confirmed that you are always hit by more than one projectile at once, regardless of how you saw it go down.

As for not damaging people in general I've also seen this to be a problem, but I have no way to fix it. I am convinced it lies within the 1.16n engine code which is out of our control.

This problem is not Nemesis specific as it was present in NG and it may well be to do with the server - ISP connection type, latency, etc ... More recently *V* players have been testing different max packet values to see if that had an effect. Although inconclusive, players have reported differences when they change their own max packets as well as when other players change theirs.
boom
V Management

Post by boom »

ok understand what you are saying.....but...if its in the engine code then why is it only v server with this damage bug?
wonkey
Site Admin

Post by wonkey »

boom wrote:ok understand what you are saying.....but...if its in the engine code then why is it only v server with this damage bug?
In the whole quake 3 community it's not just the *V* server with the problem, but it doesn't seem to effect every server. It must be related to how the game server is connected to the internet and the mass of network settings between client and server :shock:
boom
V Management

Post by boom »

ok no matter:) am playing on liquids now will be back for praccys and matches ,just spoke to chris he left v server for same reasons ...but hey nothing wrong in the server all my imagination...:)...
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

I think u misunderstood me boom i left v awhile ago maybe u missed that lol?

The reason i left was because of the server though. I have found the server better recently.

I consider myself a decent player, i've been in many differant clans, I have played most mods over the years clan aerna, osp, threewave, rocket aerna. and been in leagues toruneys ect..

The ammount of time i put into quake over the years i should be half decent. I had a game with xtos on a greek 132 dm17 server i had over 100 ping and was still getting air rockets I think xtos was supprised although he would proberly owned me if we used rail.

I know there are better players now, otu and v players have got alot better.

But playing agaisnt gravi today, i know hes a good player but he killed me so many times so easy. I was constanly dying to 1-2 rocket shots. Where it was taking me 3-4 rocket shots to kill some one. Usally during my time in quake, 2 rails is enough to kill people unless thee toally armourd and mega healthed up . I was hiting peopel with 3-4 rails be4 they was dying.

It not just me Boom i was on liquids server today and he was owning and kept killing me, he finshed top of the board by some distance.

Maybe just getting paranoid in my old age, gonna look through some demos tommorow and record the bits i consider to be dodgy and see if people agree or dissagree with me.

Oh and not having ago at you wonkey or anything i think you done a good job with nemesis.

Moooooo
the'd1ze
OTU Clan Member

Post by the'd1ze »

dammit wonk.. you might not be that gifftenfd in quake but your englisdh is gfuckin nice, thiogh I nbelivinr jsa ypu are renlish!" hnut I am guckin drunk so waht the hell!!! ab d girhy so gbinut!ä'
the'd1ze
OTU Clan Member

Post by the'd1ze »

haha hjust red what I wrote, and decided to take it slowerr :)O
boom
V Management

Post by boom »

naw m8 didnt misunderstand ....i posted that after i spoke to you yesterday ...@ dize have another beer dude:)

and have known grav1 aka wes for years i dont believe he cheats ,just a great player,just my opinion..
Last edited by boom on 27 May 2007 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
the'd1ze
OTU Clan Member

Post by the'd1ze »

lol, was just looking at all the messages and shit I posted yesterday, man.... I was wasted
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

Maybe i am over reacting with regaards to the server, just looked at my stats. They seem on par with the good players so its not like the server is agaisnt me or anything :P

Theres just sometihng about playign on v server that makes me wanna break things at time, i dont get that anywhere else, apart from on pro evo whhen you own noobs the whole game and they go score with twice with 2 or 3 shots.

I thought it may be the mod its self where spam is king but ctf is very spammy at times and that doesnt piss me off

I like playign on v though its one of the few communitys left in a slowly dying game.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

@ wonk since the new server update 523 is it? The bug seems to be worse. I hit snake piskeline with 4 rockets and i mean direct rockets not splash. He didnt die.....he hit me with 2 shotguns and i was dead.

Do we need to clean up our server folders and get rid off all the rubbish we dont use any more.....
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow
wonkey
Site Admin

Post by wonkey »

Nemesis code never touches damage or hit detection aside from the code added to produce debug output (g_debugNemesis).

I will update the server to a later build soon so you have access to the new referee levels and logging that Cyrus has added.

Yes, I've seen what looks like problems hitting some players on the server. These problems were there when NG was running on the server and we tried to fix them with Nemesis Server.

I don't know why it happens, I can't fix it.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

but we still can play super mario bros :lol: