Carnage failed....Xtra?

Updates, Changes and Problems post here.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Carnage failed....Xtra?

Post by YeLLoW »

ok so to make this official i am working on cfg for mode called X-tra.
this mode has according to arnott realy smoth and real performance in movement, damage, knockback and other things becouse of 125hz feature implementation (from pointrelease 1.27g, later was used also in OSP mode and its still using). with this feature doesn't matter on client's rate, com_maxfps (333=higher and longer jumps), sv_fps, snaps and other lan or game settings which affects server and gameplay itself, ppl are moving, shooting, jumping one just like another. server is acting very smooth and the damage looks....don't want to say it loud...fixed (better)

can be set up for freezetag and combine all popular modes within. just a simple callvote and mode is changed(dm17 instagib?). 2 bad some options are missing but still it does got much to offer.

if any of you is interrested you can give it a try on test server 78.41.170.40. freezetag settings is on with bots so try to shoot them out focusing to SG, MG, RL damage and knockback. you will notice that rocket knockback is realy realistic. a hit to players legs will throw the player away just like in OSP. even with lower fps you can do all of trickjumps...just try it. its for free :)
Last edited by YeLLoW on 22 Jan 2009 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

Vote yes
shroom
Granades Spammer

Post by shroom »

I have tried this, played for about 20 minutes. Very smooth and as you said, knockback is awsome :)
I created a folder sibling to baseq3 "x-tra" dont know what to put there beside copied q3config.cfg, I mean any client side pk3?
Also the ping on this server is relatively lower.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

hey shroom. you can copy there nemesis client or some other client for custom hud, truelightning etc, or zzzmodels. its up to you.
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

The knock back on x-tra is how it should be tbh. I dont mind nemesis but weapons seem to have very little knock back, which imo opinion encourges people to spam.

I was playing on v on friday under a hidden name,. I was playing very well and scoring well i was getting over 50% accuracy using all weapons. I wont name names but every one else on the server just seemed to be spaming. There seemed very little in the way of aiming or skill going on .

As the server filled up there was more and more spam untill it got to the point where i couldnt do alot and i qwickly became bored.

I'm not saying x-tra will stop people from spaming it wont, however i feel it will force people to aim alot more. If you hit some one with a rocket on x-tra it has some sort of effect (unless it was a prefect rocket to the body in which case since u absord most of the rocket it has little knock back). This will force people to adjust there aim when going for the 2nd and in some cases 3rd shot.

The way nemesis is at the min i feel the spammer has the advantage over the skilled player. The skilled players can knock people in the air with a rocket , then follow it up with another well aimed rocket shot or a rail. That sort of thing rarely happens on nemesis. x-tra encourges people to go for the fancy shots nemesis doesnt.

I can proove this point if no one gets what i am saying with a short video.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

now i am in contact with n8mare xtra mode developer, we are trying to fix some bugs in freeze mode. also if you have any suggestions, what we could try, post them here.

most of you dont want to change anything. but playing with useless sg, buggy rl isnt the way i like most. how about mg that can realy stands against rg? sg better then rl? try to play quake life. that is the way how weapons should works.
EnZyMe-ZuM
V Clan Member

Post by EnZyMe-ZuM »

YeLLoW wrote:how about mg that can realy stands against rg? sg better then rl?
Sucks. And sucks.

Hope you're not planning on turning the weps to 1.32-like ones. Hate those. All players who stayed on 1.16 do, that's why they did.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

so you are safisfied with SG and MG efficiency then?
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

i was thinking.....
until the bugs on xtra mode will be fixed how about to switch test server to ultra freezetag 1.32? We could do some praccy there. maybe wars?
there is a setting which is disabling cd-key checking so everyone will be able to connect.
kaska
Site Admin

Post by kaska »

Hi Yellow,
is server working ? I'm curious how this X-tra mod is.
I can ping it from cmd but don't know the port.

Someone tell us where can we download it.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

hey kas,

ive just recieved updated pk3 file from n8mare. hope it will solve major bugs.

anyways you can ping the server directly using IP 78.41.170.40 or add port :27960 right after the IP.

Server is still working running updated xtra mode now.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

Bugs on Xtra mode are fixed.

you are free to try the gameplay :)

78.41.170.40:27960
uber
V Clan Member

Post by uber »

what is knockback?
wonkey
Site Admin

Post by wonkey »

uber wrote:what is knockback?
When there is a really hot girl in the disco and you shuffle across the dancefloor to show her your best moves. She looks at you, laughs, then walks off with her friends ... that's a knockback!
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

loool :D
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

speaking from experiance wonkey?

Knockback uber, is when u get hit with a weapon it will knock you backwards or sideways or up in the air depending the location of the hit.

This forces people to adjust their aim, skilled players can use this to their advanatge by setting people up for follow up shots. If you watch videos of pros you will see this type of thing alot more often, twitch aiming its called. aIts what sets quake and unreal games aprart from the others.

knockback on v seems very random to me, sometimes no exsistant. People can spam rockets at will and it seems to have little or no effect. Durring the war against 666 i got hit with a rail dead on, some how it managed to knock me sidewise of the edge of the map, instead of knocking backwars like it should have done.
uber
V Clan Member

Post by uber »

thanks for answer arnott. I agree that knockback is quite random in V-server, sometimes enemies fly like birds after hit, sometimes no movement at all. But it really doesnt bother me.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

coz you don't use it :)
can't be a nicer frag as throw the player with rocket into air and then finish him with another rocket or rail.
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

watch this for a good eaxmple of twich aiming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1PlcjfNJEg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtjdwF4f ... re=related

I used to be capable of shots like this on a normal server.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

looks so simple. doesn't it? :D
uber
V Clan Member

Post by uber »

nice frags. But do you really mean that these players "set up shots"? Don't they "just" hit with rocket and then make rocket air shots?

For me when someone flies to the air after rocket hit, it is a big advantage, quite simpel to rail as the enemy cant strafe, so in one way V-server is harder than normal q3 :)
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

so try to hit him with RL then :)

yeah it is easier to rail a flying player. but don't forget the enemy has the same possibility as you.
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

Its hard to explain uber.

If you hit some one with a rocket at their feet they will fly in the air, depending of the location of the hit they will fly off in differant directions.

A example you hit some one at there feet on the left hand side they will fly off to the right, depending how much of the rocket they got hit by you can then be ready for this and swing your aim to the right and try for the follow up shot.

This forces both players to adjust their aim because one player is flying in the air and the other has to track that player

If you look closy at them frags alot of the good shots are fast prediction shots esspeicly the air rockets, to get a good air rocket, you need to predict where the enemy is going aim ahead of him and get the timing of the rocket right all within a split seccond, the further the player is away the better the shot it is.

It takes skill, reactions, timing and been used to your sensitivity to be able to pull them shots off.

You just dont get that sort of thing on v. Which saddens me because i belive its what quake was made for and how it was intended to be played.
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

nicer frags, more challenging, more fun.
uber
V Clan Member

Post by uber »

I understand, thanks for explaining. I can see how knockback would effect gameplay quite a lot. And pros are much better than you think they are. Actually a childhood friend of mine was second in some quake3 tournament in Dallas 6-7 years ago and won 3000 dollars, by then I was n00b but we played once and he crushed me. I had won in some spamservers and felt quite confident, but he was just insanely good, didnt know what happened before I was dead. :)

so, this mod is like the one in v-server but with knockback? any other differences?
YeLLoW
Site Admin

Post by YeLLoW »

Fixed knockback
Fixed movement (movement is independent from cl_maxpackets and com_maxfps setting)
Fixed shotgun, mashinegun effectivity
Probably fixed no damage bug and RL splash damage (this needs to be tested with more ppl on)
X^TOS
Site Admin

Post by X^TOS »

I have tried it already , about a week ago on more, it was good and smoothish. But my ping at that time was high, and was playing with...bots so now thats its better im up for a mass try out ...maybe tonight? Whos in ?
Arnott
V Clan Member

Post by Arnott »

I could try it out tonight allthough i wont be home till 7ish uk time. My good mouse is fucked so i will be on a cheapo mouse which will effect my aim.

I'll check the server between 7-8 see if any one is on.

I hope people will give this mod a fair chance and just not instantly dissmiss it because it feels differant. People didnt like nemesis before it became the norm on the v server.

With quake live coming out i really think we need a good server to keep the clan alive, the advantage normal quake has over quake live is clan servers and modable servers.

Without a good server i think more people will jump ship to quake live, including me. :shock: :o

Oh btw i am really bored.
X^TOS
Site Admin

Post by X^TOS »

You know me.
I am against changes.
But as i stated before the try out this afternoon I liked xtra. And with this opertunity today with players I really liked it. It just seems to me as time goes by and I play more QL (which isnt smooth) or some single player for fun that when I go on V i don't enjoy the game anymore and getting onwed by...gavros ajo and Harvey. SO after feeling again what rocket splash should be like, shotgun able to hit again ....hmm I say we give it a chance.
Not that its perfect but to me at least, with 70-80-90 ping + timenudge + less packets + more fps nemesis rockets atm are random. Maybe if I had 30 ping it would be different, but if xtra gets some minor changes, seems great to me.

Ps. I dont give a damn what non V members say or comment, just feedback from V's is important. They others will get on the train.

+1
uber
V Clan Member

Post by uber »

these errors that we have, what is the reason? Is it because it is not 1.32? or is it because of nemesis? we have contact with developes of nemesis?

also think that eventhough we have these minor problems v-server have many players (like me) who love the server. Players who play ql and 1.32 still come back to v-server to play. What I mean is that you shouldnt change it too much.